Dear OTS Solicitors, I am currently in a same-sex relationship and wish to apply for my partner to join me in the UK. I was born in the UK and hold a British passport. I understand that she will require a fiance visa (not the technical name) to come to the UK to marry, and then subsequently apply for leave to remain. Due to the costs involved in this 2 stage process, we discussed whether it is better for us to marry in another country where the marriage is recognised in the UK (Denmark is one suggestion). Please can you advise whether this is a feasible option? Please also send me a quote for OTS to overlook such procedure. Many thanks

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

At OTS Solicitors, we understand the emotions involved in trying to bring your foreign-born partner to the UK to join you.

Amongst the many requirements under Appendix FM (Family Migration) for a Spouse Visa, one of the requirements is that your marriage must be LEGALLY recognised in the country in which it took place. In light of your enquiry, we believe it would be beneficial for you to attend our office for a face to face consultation so that we can go through the Immigration Rules and decide which route will be of the most cost-effective and efficient for you and your partner. We will be able to provide you with a detailed breakdown of the costs involved in such applications as well as a fixed fee for us to represent you in this matter. 

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]