Dear Sir/Madam, I would like your advice and to proceed further if possible. I have been in the UK since September 2012, I am looking to apply for indefinite leave to remain but from what I understand, I am unable to do so. Just a bit of background - I am from Singapore and did my LLB at the University of Birmingham. I am currently doing my masters in law at UCL. I am finishing my masters programme this September 2017. I have been on a tier 4 visa this whole time. I am planning to do the New York bar after September and to subsequently work in the UK after. However, I find that my lack of residency status restricts the jobs I am able to apply for. Do you believe it is possible for me to apply for indefinite leave? Thanks in advance.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry. 

A visa under the Tier 4 category does not lead to settlement in the UK. Furthermore, there is a 5 year cap on Student Visas for those who wish to study an undergraduate or a Masters degree in the UK. 

You can use your residency in the UK as a student to work towards the 10-year lawful residence route in order to apply for Indefninite leave to remain in the UK in 2022. For you to continue your residence in the UK, we can explore the options available to you to switch to other visa categories which will enable you to work and eventually settle in the UK such as the tier 2 visa category. 

As a alternative, we can explore the options under a Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa under which you may be able to re-enter the UK and set up a business. This visa routes does lead to settlement in the UK.

Finally, we can also explore your private and family life in the UK to see if this gives rise to any applications under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. 

Someone will be in touch with you shortly to see how we can help you further.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]