Hello, I am an Australian and am hoping to apply for ILR next year. I first moved here in March 2013 on a Tier 2 General Migrant visa and then in November 2015 I switched to a Spouse/Partner Leave to Remain after living with my British girlfriend (who is now my wife) for 2 years. I'm just wondering if it matters that I've used two different types of visas in these 5 years or did the clock reset when I switched to the Spouse/Partner Leave to Remain visa? Thank you for any help you can give.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Sir, once an individual transfers onto the partner route which is a 5 year route to settlement, the individual must complete a full 5 years before being eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.  Leave to enter or remain, can only be amalgamated in order to meet the continuous residence for the purposes of applying indefinite leave to remain based on the long residence policy (10 years lawful Leave to Remain). We trust this information proves useful. Nevertheless, an Immigration advisor from OTS Solicitors. 

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]