Hello, I am a UK national, I am dating a US citizen. We are looking to get married in the UK, firstly applying for a fiance visa. Then getting a family visa after that to stay here permanently. The complication is that my girlfriend has a child with an ex-boyfriend. The child lives solely with my girlfriend, the father is involved still but not with any financial support towards the child. Looking at the necessary terms, it states for the child to join my girlfriend with a fiance visa. That "there is no other person outside the United Kingdom who could reasonably be expected to care for him". Are you able to advise what sort of evidence would be required to show, so that my girlfriend and her child could come at the same time? Thank you.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your quesiton.

These situations can prove very difficult. Depending on the circumstances, it may increase your chance of successfully bringing your fiance and her child into the UK by waiting until you are married, then applying for a Spouse Visa.  We will be in touch to discuss your options in detail.  You will need to be aware of the financial requirements you need to meet to bring your fiance to the UK after marriage.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]