Hi, I am an EEA Citizen residing in UK since Jul 2008. I have been working employed/ self employed ever since along with my wife. My parents have got a residence permit for the EEA country I am citizen of. This residence permit is valid for 9 months only. They are not EEA citizen and I want to apply for my parents to come and reside with me permanently in UK on the basis of EEA permit. Can I apply on the basis of them being dependent on me because of their health issues.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question.

To move to the UK to be with you, your parents may need to obtain a family permit and they must be dependent on you for their care. However, as they are not EEA citizens, they may have to apply for an Adult Dependent Relative Visa.

The following is the criteria you will need to meet for a UK Dependent Relative Visa:

-You will need to demonstrate that the Adult and elderly dependents who want to settle in the UK due to age, illness or disability, require a level of long-term personal care that can only be provided by a relative in the UK;
-You must be unable to obtain the required level of care in the country they are living, even with financial support from the sponsor (e.g. is no available care or there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it);
-The person you wish to become dependent on in the UK has the financial means to support you without seeking recourse to public funding; and
-The person you wish to become dependent on in the UK has the ability to accommodate you without seeking recourse to public funding.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact Form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]