Hi, I am a non-EEA citizen and arrived to the UK in 2009 under a Tier 4 visa then switched to a Tier 1 visa in 2010 then switched to a Tier 2 visa in 2012. I also met my wife who is German in 2009 and have been living together in the UK since 2010. We got married in 2013 and I switched my visa from Tier 2 to an EEA family member. I received my EEA visa in June 2014. My wife has received her permanent residence in June 2017, am I entitled to apply for permanent residence as non-EEA considering my wife received hers or am I meant to wait till June 2019 to demonstrate 5 years in the UK under EU regulations as my previous years were under UK law ? If I cannot apply to permanent residence, can you advise best course of action considering Brexit. Thank you.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your Immigration enquiry.

You may combine your former leave under Tier 4, Tier 1 and Tier 2 with your current leave as an EEA family member and possiblyapply for permanent residence under the 10-year long residence route. Alternatively, you mayrely on your leave as an EEA family member and apply for permanent residence on this basis.

We can of course advise you further but would require additional information in order to do so.

Our Immigration solicitors will contact you to discuss your Immigration matter shortly.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]