Hi, I am a Portuguese passport holder and have been in the UK since September of 2011. I was a student in CASS business school and have been working in London since september 2015. I want to apply for my permanent residency but I was told there is an issue with my EHIC card as it was issued here in the UK. I would really appreciate any possible help in the matter. Thank you.

Ms. M. Vaz

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

In order to apply for PR as a student, the general rule is to hold comprehensive sickness insurance or European Health Insurance for the full duration as a student. At times, the Home Office have exercised discretion over those who have not held the same for the full period however, we must assess your case in more detail before we can confirm this. 

A solicitor will contact you shortly to discuss your matter further.


[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]