Hi, I have been granted refugee status ( Leave to Remain ) in the UK and it will end in the October 2018. There seem to be laws added to gaining ILR as I read on the guardian which seems to suggest that there will be another stage for the Home Office to decide whether to grant individuals ILR or not. I am very concerned about myself and my application and was hoping to ask if I need to seek legal counsel. Thanks.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are a recognised refugee under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, then you can apply for indefinite leave to remain following five years continuous residence in the UK.

It is imperative to take this action a month before your right to stay in the UK as a refugee expires, otherwise you may have your refugee status revoked. 

The Home Office will review the current situation in your home country prior to granting or refusing your ILR application.

We will need further information from you in order to advise you. 

We will contact you shortly to discuss this matter further. 

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consult with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact form.


[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]