Hi, my sons girlfriend broke up with him after 2 years when she was about 15 weeks pregnant, at 1st he was allowed to go to midwives appointments etc then at about 20 weeks she said she didn't want him at and scans at the birth or any appointments at all, she went back on her word and got the babys birth registered without him gave the baby her name and not my sons as was promised we visited about 3 times then she broke all contact with all the family and with all my sons and her joint friends, she refuses to talk to any of us and won't tell us any thing about the baby, she had been in love with my son for 5 years before they got together so his has been very hard to understand i don't think the child is his its the ony reason i can think of, could i as a grandparent as for a dna test ?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry. It would be better if your son enquires about a DNA test but he would have to seek permission from the court to do so because he has unfortunately not been named as the birth father on the birth certificate. Hence he has no parental responsibility (PR) over the child but may apply to the courts for permission to seek PR. We will be more than happy to assist and talk you through the law and procedure –  please call us on 0203 959 9123 for a quick chat or to arrange a consultation.
[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]