Hi, so the situation is that I am American while my boyfriend is English and we want to visit my family for only one month in the US over summer. My boyfriend has a record for something he did when he was 17, and it is now spent. It is my understanding that you must declare this anyway, and upon research I have found it is very likely he will get denied. I know of many people that don't declare things like this and just go to the US, however I am concerned this would cause problems for us in the future if we were to get married. Is this the case? If we apply for a spouse visa in the future will they see that he traveled without declaring, even if it was years down the line and he had a new passport by then?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry. 

You are required to disclose all conviction when applying for a visa. However you are required to discuss this with a US attorney.

We can forward your details to one of our contacts provided you give us written permission.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consult with our Immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact form

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]