Hi, I am a 51 year German, married for 10 years to a British husband and live in the UK for the last 25 years. I have worked most of that time and only stopped working last September. So I paid taxes for most of my life and recently got a statement of what pension I would be allowed based on my NI contributions. Our son has dual nationality (German/British). In the light of Brexit would you recommend me to get a permanent residence card and then following that would I be allowed to get dual citizenship like my son? I am a school governor for 8 years and keep working voluntary at schools - I love this country. So sad that I now have to live in fear and your advice is much appreciated

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. We completely understand your distress, but we think you can relax. If you have been exercising your EU Treaty rights and working in the UK, then you could apply for a permanent residence card. As you have been in the UK for so many years, you may also wish to apply for British citizenship. To do this you will need a permanent residence Card.
Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact Form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]