Hi , I am a UK citizen in full time Employment in decent wage and have 2 Kids ( age 7 and 15) . My wife expired 6 months ago. My parents ( age 69 and 64) have been visiting me every year from India since last 10 years for approx 5 months in a year during summer time . Currently they got 2 year visitor visa expiring in Jan 2019. My mother is in UK and came here when my Wife expired to look after the kids. She is due to return to India with kids for summer vocation and have return tickets with kids after 6 weeks. IS she Ok to do for next 2 years ( going to India and returning within weeks) as I need her to look her my young children till I figure out what to do with my life ? If their way to get a different visa for my mother so that she can stay longer with me for kids ? Thanks for help.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please note one of the many requirements within Appendix V (for visit visas) is that ans applicant: 

"(b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and..."

As such, your mother can visit the UK and stay in the UK for up to 6 months in total. She needs to make sure that the total lenght of stay DOES NOT EXCEED 6 month in any given 12 month period as otherwise she will be at risk of her visa being cancelled or a further application for a visit visa being refused.

In terms of applying for a different visa, we will need to take further instructions from you in order to estabalish the best way forward in this matter.

Someone will be in touch with you shortly to see how we can help you further.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact Form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors


[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]