I am an EU Citizen, have just obtained a PR certificate in May 2017. In July this year I made redundant. Can I apply for British Citizen if I claim benefits as a single parent (income support, child tax credit, housing benefit and child benefit). Can I apply for naturalization this year or I need to wait 12 months ?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

You are permitted to apply for naturalisation one year after acquiring your permanent residence status. Claiming benefits in this period may affect your application for naturalisation and therefore we need to assess your situation in more detail before we can advise.

Someone will be in touch with you shortly to see how we can help you further.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration Solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]