I am a retired (70 year old) Canadian who currently spends 6 months a year in the UK as a tourist. I am interested in living here for longer than 6 months a year or acquiring indefinite leave to remain. I believe I am eligible for an ancestry visa as I have documentation to prove my grandparents were born in the UK . I am not sure if this is my best choice since I am not interested in working in the UK. It has also been suggested that I should simply leave the UK after 6 months for a few days and then return again, I know there used to be a retirement visa, but I understand this option no longer exists. What would be my best visa option for a long term stay in the UK or becoming a permanent resident?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question.
You may be able to live in the UK for five years as a retired person with independent means, however the criteria for this is very strict. After this you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. To obtain a five year Ancestry Visa it is likely that you would be required to work. Your other options are an Investor Visa (if you have access to £2 million to invest in the UK market) or an Entrepreneur Visa (you will need access to £200,000 and this would involve working in a busienss).

To advise you we would need to know more about your circumstances. Please get in touch to make an appointment.
Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]