I have been studying on a student visa since 2011. My current status expires in January, 2018. I am looking to switch to the tier 2 category before the expiration date however obtaining a job offer has been very difficult. Is there any advice for someone seeking to switch visa categories. Also, how many more years do I have to spend in order to obtain permanent settlement? I would be grateful if you could inform me of what steps to take next and what decisions to make.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your enquiry.

In order to switch into a Tier 2 visa from a Tier 4 visa, you must have an eligible qualification from a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor whom have sponsored your visa to study for the elible qualification in the UK.

The eligible qualifications specified by the Home Office guidance are a UK Bachelors Degree, a UK Masters Degree, a post graduate certificate in education or professional graduate diploma of education. You must also meet the following requirements:

- Have a certificate of Sponsorship

- Have an appropriate salary

- Have the required level of English Language qualification

- Have proof of £945 in savings, unless you are exempt

- Provide a criminal record certificate for any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, if you will be working with vulnerable people. 

As well as the above, there are other requirements under the Immigration Rules which you must meet. At this stage, we will need more information from you about yourself before we can provide you with comprehensive advice about switching visas in the UK. 

With regard to you enquiry about settlement, you may be eligible to settle in the UK after completing 10 years in the UK with lawful residence. There may be alternative routes to settlement for you and thus we can explore these options with you in more detail once we have full instructions from you. 

Someone will be in touch with you shortly to see how we can help you further.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our Immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contacting us on 0207 936 9960 or through our contact form.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors



[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]