I have split up from my ex-partner. I want to know if I can stay in the house with my daughter. She is 4. I am not married. Will that make a difference to whether or not we can stay in the house?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

I am sorry to hear about your separation. I appreciate that you will want to stay at the house so your daughter has continuity. Whether you will be able to do so will depend on a number of factors that we would need to discuss with you in some detail. The fact that you are not married does affect the way the law works on who gets to stay in a house after a couple split up . However, as you have a young daughter we need to look at not just your property rights but also your daughter’s housing needs (called a schedule one claim) and child support.  We think there are a number of ways in which the family team may be able to help you.
Please call me on 0203 959 9123 to arrange an appointment to discuss how we can help you. 
[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]