I'm a UK citizen, and grew up in the UK but was born in the USA (my mother is British, born in London and still alive, my father was American, born in the USA and now deceased). Right now I'm back living in USA, and my 10 year old son was born there, but I want him to have a UK passport and become a British citizen. His father (my husband) is a British citizen and spent most of his life there, but he was born in Bangkok (because his parents, both British born were diplomats in Thailand). Is there a way to get our son his British Citizenship and passport? I am very confused and need legal advice. Thank you so much.

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Madam,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

From the information you have provided, your son may be in a position to apply for British Citizenship. Both you and your son’s father seem to be British citizens by decent as you were both born outside of the UK. Your son may however rely on his father’s previous residence in the UK and his status to meet some of the requirements of Section 3 of the British nationality Act 1981.

In any event, we will require further information in order to establish whether your son is in a position to submit a British Citizenship application.

Our immigration solicitors will contact you shortly.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]