My mother was born in London in 1945 to parents, both of whom were British citizens who emigrated from Germany in the late 1930s. My mother emigrated with her family from the UK to Canada in about 1950 and then moved to the U.S. in the late 1960s and became a U.S. citizen. My father is a U.S. citizen. I am a U.S. citizen. I do not live now, nor have I ever lived, in the UK. Is it possible for me to get UK citizenship through my mother while continuing to reside outside the UK? Is it possible for my children, who are U.S. citizens, to get UK citizenship?

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your British nationality enquiry.

From the information you have provided, your mother may be British otherwise than by decent. In this case, she may be able to pass her British nationality to you, making you a British Citizen by decent. 

In any event we will need further information from you in order to advise you.

Our immigration solicitors will contact you shortly.

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]