my sons wife is in China , he is uk born citizen and they were married in March in China. they will be applying for spouse visa and my question is , if she applies in mean time for a visitor visa will it affect the spouse via application. I read somewhere that it can be detrimental as uk govt may see she has no reason to return and may stay and thus refuse visa and jeapordise future spouse visa this true? would appreciate your response . thanks

Areas of Expertise: 

Public Answer: 

Thank you for your question. It may be best to apply for a UK Spouse Visa straight away. In most situations you cannot ‘switch’ to a Spouse Visa if you have entered the UK on a Visitor visa. It is likely that your daughter-in-law may have to return to China to apply for a Spouse Visa.

Please note, this answer cannot be taken as a legal advice until we have your full instructions. The answer provided above is for information purposes only, if you would like to proceed to full legal advice and consultation with our immigration solicitors, please let us know your availability for an appointment by contact us on 0207 936 9960 or through our Contact Form.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]