Can I bring my family to the UK if I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Indefinite Leave to Remain OTS Solicitors

The one thing that immigration solicitors will tell you is that personal immigration law doesn’t just involve the main visa applicant but their whole family. Your family members may want to accompany you or join you as the visa applicant at a later date on a dependant visa or settle in the UK. Alternatively, family members may want to regularly come to the UK on visit visas to see you. In this blog we look at whether you can bring your family to the UK if you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

UK immigration and Indefinite Leave to Remain solicitors 

London based OTS Solicitors specialise in Immigration law and applications for Indefinite Leave to Remain Call OTS Solicitors on 0203 959 9123 to discuss your best immigration options or compete our online enquiry form. Appointments are available by video conference, Skype or by telephone appointment. 

Do you have Indefinite Leave to Remain?

 When looking at how best to bring family members to the UK the first question immigration solicitors will ask is whether you have Indefinite Leave to Remain or British citizenship through a British naturalisation application or they will want to know about your UK settlement plans.

If you haven’t already applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain then immigration solicitors can assess:

Normally you will have to have been continuously and lawfully resident in the UK for at least five years to be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. There are however exceptions to this rule. Accelerated settlement is possible depending on your visa status, for example, if you are in the UK on an investor visa or a global talent visa. Alternatively, for some Indefinite Leave to Remain applicants it can take ten or even twenty years of living in the UK before they meet the eligibility criteria for ilr.

Once you have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain you:

  • Have the right to live in the UK free of immigration  control
  • Can take up Employment without your employer needing a sponsor licence to be able to employ you 
  • Can set up your own business in the UK without needing an entrepreneur or business visa 
  • Are eligible to use the NHS without payment
  • Are entitled to access and have recourse to public funds.
  • Bring your family to join you in the UK. 

Can my family join me in the UK? 

Under the immigration Rules you can apply to bring your:

  • Partner, husband, wife or civil partner
  • Dependant children
  • Dependant relatives 

Provided that your relatives and dependants meet the eligibility criteria for a family or other type of UK visa. 

When can a partner join me in the UK?

Many people with Indefinite Leave to Remain assume that their unmarried partner or their same-sex partner won't be able to join them in the UK. However the immigration Rules are clear that ‘partner’ isn’t restricted to a husband or wife but includes:

  • A civil partner or
  • An unmarried partner proving that you have been living together in a relationship for at least two years prior to the application or
  • A person that you are planning to get married to in the UK within six months of your partner arriving on a fiancé visa.  

To secure a visa your partner, husband or wife will need to:

  • Be over the age of eighteen 
  • Meet the English language requirement
  • Be able to financially support themselves.

If your partner doesn’t meet the above eligibility criteria they potentially could still secure a UK family visa if:

  • They have a child living in the UK and it would be unreasonable for the child (who must be a British citizen or have lived in the UK for at least seven years) to leave the UK or
  • There would be significant difficulties for you and your partner and those difficulties can't be overcome if you were to live with one another outside the UK
  • There would be a breach of Human Rights to refuse the visa application. 

When can my child join me in the UK?

A child who has a parent with UK Indefinite Leave to Remain can apply for a family visa or a child visa to enter and live in the UK on an indefinite basis. To meet the eligibility criteria the child must be: 

  • Under the age of eighteen 
  • Must not be living an independent life, for example, married 
  • Financially supported without recourse to public funds. 

If your child is over the age of eighteen then different immigration Rules apply as the child can either make their own application or be included in your ilr application as a dependant depending on family and personal circumstances. 

How can OTS Solicitors help with your immigration questions? 

If you aren’t sure what is the best visa route for a family member to join you in the UK then speak to the friendly and approachable immigration law team at London based OTS Solicitors. They will provide clear advice on your options, timescales and costs. 

The specialist immigration  lawyers at OTS Solicitors can help you with your application to the Home Office for Indefinite Leave to Remain and will explore the best visa and settlement options for your family.

Call the immigration team at OTS Solicitors on 0203 959 9123 or compete our online enquiry form. Appointments are available by video conference, Skype or by telephone appointment. 


Relevant People: 

For the best expert legal advice and outcome on your UK immigration application, contact OTS immigration solicitors on 0203 959 9123 or contact us online.


We are one of the UK’s top firms for immigration solicitors and civil liberties lawyers. We can advise on a broad range of immigration issues including Appeals and Refusals, Judicial Reviews, Spouse Visas, Student Visas, Work Permit Visas, Indefinite Leave to Remain, EEA Applications, Asylum and Human Rights, British Citizenship, All types of visas, Business Immigration Visas, Entrepreneur Visas and Investor Visas.

Our top immigration solicitors and lawyers are here to assist you.


Disclaimer: The information and comments on this page/site is made available free of charge and for educational and information purposes only. The information and comments do not amount to and are not intended to be adopted as legal advice to any individual or company. The use of this site should not be a substitute for specific legal advice, which we ask you to see our contact page or call our solicitors on 0203 959 9123.

By using this site you understand that there is no solicitor and client relationship between you/your company and the site owners or the firm. We make every effort to keep the published articles up-to-date and accurate, however the law changes very rapidly and the older the articles on this site, the more likely that the views in it have changed with the development of the law. 

1 Comment