Unlawful Deduction From Wages and Under Payment

An employer cannot deduct your wages unless you have previously agreed in writing to have your wages deducted, or if they are authorised by statute or by the employment contract. On occasions employers will fail to pay or make unlawful deductions from your pay. If this has happened to you, or if you are unsure and would like to discuss your situation with one of our top employment lawyers and unlawful deduction of wages specialists, please call 0203 959 9123 or send us a message via our Contact form and we will be in touch with you within 24 hours.

For a fixed fee at very reasonable rates we can draft an unlawful pay deductions solicitor’s letter which in our experience has successfully convinced employers to refrain from their actions and to pay the owed sum without any further delay.

How to Claim for Underpayment / Unlawful Deduction of Wages

You have a right not to have your wages deducted by an employer. Our employment solicitors protect individuals both employees and self employed persons that have suffered unlawful deduction in their wages. Our solicitors will initially assist you to following formal internal procedures, but should the matter require bringing a claiming against your employer, our employment solicitors will represent you throughout the proceedings. There are two claims an employee will make against their employer:

  1. Our employment lawyers may advise you to bring an action for unlawful deduction of wages in an employment tribunal; or
  2. As a Breach of Contract a claim can be made to the employment tribunal or Count Court.

Tribunal Time Limit for Claiming Unlawful Deduction in Wages

The Government has announced plans to change time limit to make a claim in relation to deduction of wages in the Tribunal. The changes will mean that on or after 1 July 2015, any previous deductions or shortfalls to be recovered in the Tribunal will cover a maximum period of 2 years only.

Tribunal Time Limit for a Breach of Contract

The Tribunal is limited to considering claims that are issued within 3 months less one day of the date that the contract is terminated. It will only deal with claims that are less than £25,000.

Should you miss the deadline for bringing a claim for breach of contract for unlawful deduction in wages, you may issue your claim in the Count Court within 6 years of the date that the breach of contract took place.

You should seek the best employment lawyers on Underpayment or Unlawful Deduction of Wages at the earliest opportunity. OTS Solicitors employment lawyers will provide a highly experienced team of solicitors with the best professional advice to successfully recover your wages. Please contact our London office on 0203 959 9123 or send us a message via our Contact form and we will be in touch with you within 24 hours.


For a more detailed discussion regarding your case, or to book an appointment with a member of our Employment Law team, please call us now on 0203 959 9123 

Your Questions & Our Answers about Unlawful Deduction From Wages and Under Payment

Ask Our Experts A Question

Your question will be processed by us in accordance with our Legal Notice and Privacy and Cookies policy. By submitting a question, you consent to such processing and you warrant that all data provided by you is accurate. We reserve the right to display your question.'
The answer will be e-mailed to you.
if you would like us to call you back with a more detailed answer.

Vertical Tabs