My partner and I are talking about splitting up. banner

My partner and I are talking about splitting up.

My partner and I are talking about splitting up.

  • Posted on

My partner and I are talking about splitting up. We own a house but we are not married. My partner says that if I leave him I will have to leave the house. I am very worried because we have a four-year-old daughter. I feel desperate because we are arguing all the time. I am worried that my daughter is noticing the arguments and that they will affect her. The situation is getting worse. Can you tell me if there is a way out of the situation?

Public Answer

We are sorry to hear about your relationship difficulties.

Firstly, you should not leave the family home without taking legal advice.

As you jointly owned the property with your partner, you do have legal rights. The extent of your interest in the property will depend upon a number of factors. We need a lot more information from you to advise you on your legal rights in relation to the property.

If you do leave the property you will retain your legal rights over the family home but leaving the property may not be in your interests or those of your daughter. It may be possible to look at ways that your partner could be asked to leave the property. Again, we would need to see you to discuss your situation in more detail before being able to advise you on those options and legal remedies.

There are a number of ways in which the family team at OTS Solicitors can help you. Please call us on 0203 959 9123 to arrange an appointment to discuss how we can help you.

The family team at OTS Solicitors

[This question has been successfully answered by our lawyers in a private e-mail]

    Get in touch

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.