Government to Announce Stocktake of EU Nationals Living in the UK banner


Government to Announce Stocktake of EU Nationals Living in the UK

  • Posted on

With Brexit negotiations finally underway, the UK Government appears to finally be making plans to confirm the legal status of the 3 million EU nationals living in the UK.

According to The Guardian, ministers will shortly unveil plans asking all EU citizens to voluntarily "register their interest" in acquiring documentation allowing them to live and work in the UK post-Brexit.

A simpler process

It is understood that the government is creating a new, more user-friendly process to deal with EU nationals who wish to solidify their right to remain in the UK after it formally leaves the EU. Currently, the UK application form for an EU permanent residence Card is 85-pages long. Those wishing to apply for the card must also supply around five years’ worth of supporting documentation, which many do not have access to.

"Generous offer" to EU nationals currently in the UK

Next Monday, Brexit Secretary, David Davis, will outline the government’s plan to protect the rights of EU nationals currently living in the UK. The British government has described the offer as "generous," but many lobby groups fear that it will fall short of the status quo. The EU wants all EU nationals affected by Brexit to be allowed to enjoy freedom of movement throughout the bloc for the rest of their lives. However, it is likely that Britain will put restrictions on the rights of EU nationals living in the UK; for example, stating they must have lived and worked in the country for a specific amount of time before they are eligible to stay indefinitely. The government has also indicated that it will set a cut-off date in which EU nationals who come to Britain after the date has passed will not be eligible to reside here permanently.

Help with EU Permanent Resident Card applications

For EU nationals currently living in the UK, Immigration lawyers believe the best option available at present is to get your application for a permanent residence Card submitted to the Home Office. Although the form is complex, an experienced Immigration solicitor will help you fill it in accurately, collate the required supporting evidence and write a letter of explanation if you do not have all the documentation required.

OTS Solicitors is regarded as one of the best Immigration law firms in the UK. If you need advice on any Immigration law matters, please phone our office on 0203 959 9123 to talk to one of our dedicated Immigration solicitors.

    Get in touch

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.